RAHON, one of the historical and famous towns of Punjab is situated at the height of 1012 feet from the sea level. This town has the memories of a kind hearted Tara Singh Geba, a cruel ruler Shams Khan, the founder of a democratic sikh rule Banda Bhadur and also of Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
At one time Rahon was a famous commercial centre and the shoe makers of this town were very perfect in their work. A shoe maker named Miyan Khaki Shah made a pair of shoes which are kept in a museum in Lahore even today.
The total area of this town is 6900 Acres. In ancient times this town was known as "RAGHPUR" , "RAGHAVTPUR", "RAGHO" etc. Later it was called "RAHON". This is situated on the road from Nawanshahr to Ludhiana.
It is said that this town came in existence some 2000 years ago. It was founded by king Raghav that's why it was called "RAGHAVPUR". In 1970 Rahon was Annexed by Sikhs. After knowing this Samad Khan came from Lahore to fight with sikh forces. A decisive battle was fought outside the city and Sikhs were defeated but the Sikhs who were hidden in the nearby jungle attacked Mughals for the second time and they took Rahon under their possession once again.
After the death of Banda Bahadur Rahon was once again lost by Sikhs when farooksiae ruled. In 1748 Gulab Singh Dallewalia annexed it on made it a 'misal ' .He died in 1755. He was succeeded by Gurdial Singh ,who also died next year .Later when various areas was given to Tara Singh Geba. He made it his capital. Mehatpur, Nawanshahr , phillaur, Nakodar also came under him.
Tara Singh Geba reconstructed the fortress of Rahon . He also built a pool ( Sarovar )and named it Ramsau Sarovae. After him Maharaja Ranjit Singh ruled over Rahon .He built a fort here and named it after Hari Singh Nalwa. After the I'st Anglo-Sikh war Rahon was annexed by British.
After the division of the country in 1947 the Muslim population of Rahon had to go to Pakistan and the Hindu and Sikh population that came from Pakistan started living here.
The total population of Rahon according to census 1991 was 10,813.The famous place of Rahon are suraj Kund, Shiv Mandir, Mandir Bhumeshwari, Durga Mandir, Shankar Mandir, The tomb of Tara Singh Geba and the Forts of Hari Singh Nalwa.
- Pojewal Inn
Some 200 years ago when Rahon was the biggest business centre of this region, people living in mountain areas used to come here with the purpose of buying and selling. Their camels, horses used to be loaded. The journey being quite long, they stayed at their place and rest for some time, then again they started their journey. There used to be a Berry tree and and old well. In brief this place was not less than a five star hotel for the people.
Seeing the importance of this place, A Pandit named Punu Ram Dhaima who belonged to village 'Roarh Majaia ' built an inn here. In forest areas it used to be a best quality rest house for one forefathers.
Because of this inn a middle school was opened here. After that Navodya Vidyala came into existence. Today there is a small market and about a dozen educational institutions and offices.
This village is thousands of years old. According to an old saying this village was once ruled by king Yornath in ' Duapai Era '.At that time it was a big empire and its name was 'Bhadravati Puri'.There used to be a big fort in the north-east of the village changed from Bhadravati to Bhadiakali and after thousands of years it used to be called ' Bhaddi '
According to an old saying king Yornasar had a horse named Shyam Karan. Its colour was white and ears were black. Because of its unique features this house was valuable for the king and he employed thousands soldiers to look after it.
It is said that after the war between Kauraras and Pandaras ' Ashvmedh Yogya' was organized in Hastinapur, for which Shyam Kaian horse was selected, when Arjun and Ghatotkuch came to take this horse . King yornasar refused to give it and said that they could take the horse only after defeating him. He also ordered the people of his empire to fight for the sake of his honour and also to save the horse. A fight was fought and king was victorius , But afterwards, with the help of his metaphysical powers, Ghatotkuch was successful in getting the horse.
The religious place in Bhaddi include Baba Kainthal, Baba Goal Tibbi, A temple of Shiva, some mosques and a Gurudwara.
A famous village of District Nawanshahr, Surapur was founded by an old man Sura Singh some 350 years ago. He came here from Utter Pardesh and lived here with his family . In fact Hindus and Sikhs were the victims of the cruelties of the Mugals and had to move from one place to another for shelter. With the passage of time some other families came to this place. The village was named after the old man Sura Singh .
People of different Castes like saini, Brahman, Nai, S.C. live here. This village is situated at the distance of Eight K.M. from Nawanshahr and 10 K.M. from Garshanker. The village is a developed one. Land is cultivated by modern techniques. There are two Gurudwaras in the village. There is one Elementry and one Govt. High School. 95 % people have passed middle, 3 % people are sime literate and 2 % are illiterate.Rural dispensary, Co-operative milk society , Co- Operative agriculture society , mini post office, food grain market. A modern library etc. are serving the people of the village.
80 People of this village fought in the first and second world war Captain Seva Singh, 4 Subedars and 8 war widows get pension . Dozen of young men of this village are there on the high posts of Punjab Police, Central and State Government.
During the Mughal Periad When Aurangzeb 's cruelties were at their peak, the people of Gujjar Kabila left their home ( in Delhi ) on the bank of Jamuna river and hide themselves in Shivalik mountains .This village was founded by one of those people named ' Ratta Chechi ' .The Population of this village is more then 7000.There was a time when it used to be the biggest village divided in dozens of parts.
There are five Government Elementry Schools, one ' Maharaj Brahma Nand Bhoori Wale Girls College, one Higher Secondry Schhol, known as Janta High School and two middle schools. Main crops are Wheat, Peddy, Sugarcane , Corn etc. The chief of Garib Dasi institution swami Lal Das ji and Chaudhry Balu Ram were born here.
Village Saroya Tehsil Balachaut , Distt. Nawanshahr is situated in Shivalik mountains and known as a capital for the pople of Kandi area. About one thousand years ago a Rajput named Sarva lived here. The village was named after him, with the passage of time Muslims come here and during the reign of Shah- Jahan they exercised great influence over Hindus. That 's why this place was named by lton as Shahjahanpura. After 200 years it used to be called saroya once again.
In 1892 a Primary school was opened here, which was upgraded and made a High school. This school runs in the fort built by Maharaja Ranjit Singh. An inn was also made in the fort. Now it is called ' Telu Mal Di Saran', with the passage of time people belonging to different religious came here and built 8 temples. Pakistan's former President Zia-ul- Haq was a relative of the Muslims of this village. After partition Muslims had to go from here. The people here are well- educated. Many of them are working on high posts.
Captain Ranjit Singh Minahs has served as a bodyguard of former president Giani Zail Singh. Brigadier Kuldip Singh Chanchpuri has got Param Vir Chakra, Charanjit Singh and Jasjit Singh (both real brothers) have got Vir Chakra. There are many branches of big banks. There is also a telephone exchange. The land is fertile. People are religious minded. Saroya which is block development centre now dreams of being the Sub-Tehsil of District Nawanshahr.
Initially known as Khangarh in eighteenth century this village was called Kathgarh because of the abundance of wood here. There is a fort in this village built by Sardar Jhanda Singh in 1755. There is also a well and its water is very sweet. Maharaja Ranjit Singhvisited this place in 1831. Sardar Tara Singh gifted 1000 gold coins and a horse to him. During the british rule Sardar Bakhtanjar Singh worked as Honorary Magistrate. Before 1947 the muslim population was more. D.A.V. School is the old school of the area.
Village Sahiba was founded by Rana Sahib Chand in 1522. he was a Rajput. He came from village Charaan (Tehsil Nawanshahr) to village Sahiba (Tehsil Balachaur) in 1522. Village Bharapur, Sahdara, Sajawlpur, Uttaal were also part of it.
Village Sahiba used to be a kandi village. Some fifty years ago a civil dispensary and in 1895 a high school was built here. This school has now become Senior Secondary School. There is also a post office and a veterinary hospital. Desi ghee of Sahiba is very famous and sent to Amritsar, Hosiarpur, Ludhiana and Jalandhar. Ram Leela, Hola Mohalla is also famous. People belonging to different religions live here. 80 acres of land is infertile.
In 16th century a person named Raj Dev along with his family came here. He was related with the family of the king of Jaipur. He started meditating here and named this place after the name of his son Balraj as Balachaur. Raj dev died in 1596. People made his tomb here and worshiped him. A committee named as "Balraj Mandir Committee" was created in 1949 and its President was Zaildar Balwant Singh. Present President is Rana Purshotam Singh. In 1539 Sher-Shah-Suri before attacking Himayun took the blessing of Raj Dev.
This historical village is situated at some distance on Banga-Phagwara roadand is 7 K.M. away from Phagwara. There is a religious place in Mandali and is famous with the name of "Baba Abdulla Shah Kadri Mandali". A fair is held here every year.
Gurditt Singh Daler who was sentenced to death in Multan jail in 1939 belonged to this village. Baba Karam Singh also belonged to this village. Baba Karam Singh Cheema, baba Bhagwan Singh Dosanjh, Chain Singh Chain, Baba Harbans Singh Karnana were arrested from Mandali in 1940 by the british.
The present chairman of Jalandhar Improvement Trust Dr. Lekh Raj belongs to this village. Sh. Chaman kalyan is serving at a high post in U.K. also belongs to this village.
This village was founded by Baba Bhoj Singh of Jaipur some 540 years ago. There was a time when this area was lying abandoned. Perhaps that's why it was called Jadla. There are 9 wells in the village. The first Primary School of the area was opened in Jadla. At that time people used to go from Rahon and Garhshankar to Lahore for higher study.